Friday, May 16, 2008

History: Woodstock



I came upon a child of God
He was walking along the road
And I asked him where are you going?
And this he told me
I'm goin' on down to Yasgur's farm
I'm gonna to join in a rock 'n' roll band
I'm gonna camp out on the land
I'm gonna try and get my soul free...


Joni Mitchell: Woodstock [purchase]
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young: Woodstock [purchase]
Eva Cassidy: Woodstock [purchase]


Maybe it is just the time of year, or maybe it's the time of man?

A history song from the patron saint of our rapidly-growing blog community here at Star Maker Machine, and one which, like my previous entry on this theme, has much to do with the history of folk music, and of music in general. Where Acadian Driftwood taught us about the relationship between geography and folkways, this song provides entry into the myriad ways in which folk is about people -- specifically, how countercultural movements use both song itself, and the gathering of the clan around song, as a way to focus, clarify, reinforce and reflect values back to the community which the music claims to speaks of, to, and for.

But you don't really need me to tell you about the historical relevance of Woodstock, do you? With a cover from CSNY, who were there. (Joni was not.) And another from Eva Cassidy, because her version is so soulful.


Max Yasgur on his farm.

6 comments:

Mario B said...

There's a relation between Johnny Cash and the Woodstock festival. Guess what it is. If no one gets it, I will give you the answer later.

Anonymous said...

He played the Woodstock festival in '94

Mario B said...

No. It's about the 1969 Woodstock (the only one, if you ask me)

Dan said...

Did you ever hear the acoustic version James Taylor did on the Howard Stern show about 5-7 years back? It was unearthly. Beautiful.

Mario B said...

OK, here it is. In the early moments of the Woodstock movie, a guy is asking anybody passing by : What's Your Name ?
So here comes a young woman, not really interested by that man with a microphone. What's your name ? he asks. Her : "My name is Sue, how do you do ?" as she walks away. At that moment, the 45 A Boy Named Sue by Johnny Cash was the big radio hit in the USA.

Anonymous said...

Matthews Southern Comfort!