Monday, June 2, 2008

Boats: Sloop John B



Beach Boys: Sloop John B (vocals only)

[purchase]

Here's a great song about a boat. Contrary to rumors that Brian Wilson was forced to include it on Pet Sounds, the liner notes suggest he was fully behind its inclusion.

I'm glad because I like it.

If anybody has more to add, please do so in the comments. Thank you.

***Update!***

Courtesy of Divinyl, our newest SMM contributor, here is the original version that inspired the Beach Boys:

The Kingston Trio: Sloop John B [purchase].

And check the comments for a cover version by Barry “Eve Of Destruction” McGuire!

8 comments:

Divinyl said...

Good call! Great song, and I would never have thought of it!

Paul said...

Thanks Divinyl. Are you planning you first post on SMM?

Hey, if anybody has the Kingston Trio version, please post it in the comments and I'll move it up to the main post.

boyhowdy said...

No Kingston Trio, sadly; it was lost in the love to mac format recently.

But I do have this version by Barry McGuire which I grabbed from Steve of Cover Freak a while back when he did a five-song covers set on the same topic.

Barry McGuire: Sloop John B

Yes, as Steve says, this is the Eve of Destruction guy. But the cover is nice and grungy, for 1965. With the vocals all on the right side, and the guitar and drum on the left, it's like being right inside the band as it plays.

boyhowdy said...

Um...that would be the MOVE to mac format. Though I love my new mac, I really do.

Anonymous said...

I downloaded that Barry McGuire version too. Haven't really warmed up to it yet, but it's interesting.

Kingston Trio anyone???

Divinyl said...

Sloop John B - The Kingston Trio

Anonymous said...

Well, I guess this counts as your first post on SMM!

Welcome to the club.

Divinyl said...

Ha ha, thanks! :o)

Check your e-mail Paul...I have a proper post in the offing, but need advice, as I can't find a valid purchase link!