Monday, June 30, 2008

Fifty States: Iowa



Greg Brown: Iowa Waltz

[purchase]

I suppose I should knock off my adopted home state of Iowa. I hated Iowa when I first moved here, but I've learned over the years that it's a wonderful place to live (except for the months of December, January, and February, which suck eggs). We have dense forest across the street from our house, we have the right sized cities, we have good people, we have universities, we have good music. If it weren't for those nasty, ugly winters when all the leaves fall off the trees, it would be everything I would want in a place to raise a family.

Greg Brown grew up a couple of hours south of my house. I'm not a farmer, and since I live in a University town I don't really know any farmers. But, I still love this line:

We take care of our own, take care of our young,
Make hay while the sun shines.
Growing our crops, singing our songs,
And planting until harvest time.


blog comments powered by Disqus