Friday, July 18, 2008

Heaven Week: The Sound Of The Sinners



The Clash: The Sound Of The Sinners

[purchase]

Joe Strummer got his gospel-cred when he sang this gravely song of praise and redemption. Tim Curry is the voice of the preacher at the end.  This song is an interesting last song to the first CD (and originally to the third side of the triple LP) because it is such a non-political offering on such an otherwise overtly political album.  Instead, the chorus at least, seems to be Joe's sincere recognition that in spite of his stardom and his drug induced fantasies, he is not in fact God.

After all this time
To believe in Jesus
After all those drugs
I thought I was Him
After all my lying
And a-crying
And my suffering
I ain't good enough
I ain't clean enough
To be Him


blog comments powered by Disqus