Saturday, August 30, 2008

School Days: Baggy Trousers

Make your own Hammer pants!

Madness: Baggy Trousers

[purchase]

Many many apologies for my long absences between posts lately - hands up, I am sh*t! I have quite a bit going on in the 'real world' and my mind just hasn't been on it...in fact, I have posted here more recently than at my own blog, if you can believe that.

Yadda yadda yadda...but anyway, I just couldn't let this week's theme pass without featuring the song above which, for me, is the epitome of a school song.

It was first released in 1980 and was written by band member Suggs (Graham McPherson to his mum) about his school days in Hastings (although the school used in the video was actually in Kentish Town, London). It showcases Madness' great sense of humour and is typical of their infectious ska rhythms. The album that I have taken this from is The Business (purchase link above), which is a stonking 3 disc retrospective of 69 (yes really) songs and the odd interview snippet...such as at the end of the song we have here.

blog comments powered by Disqus