Friday, September 19, 2008

Clothes: Watch Chain



Chris Mills: Watch Chain

[purchase]

Chris Mills's album Kiss it Goodbye is, in my opinion, an unheralded classic of the turn-of-the-century alt-country boom. His lyrics can be decimating (though this song isn't the best example of that), and the musicianship on the record is great. I think some people are put off by his gravelly voice, if they give enough time to listen at all. What I like about a lot of the songs on this album, as opposed to some of his later records, is that he pairs his lead vocals with great backing singers. I think the secret weapon of this song is the guy singing harmonies. There is some quality to the tone of his voice that, for some reason, I really respond to. Perhaps it's simply the register and the smoothness of it, in contrast to Mills's smoker's rasp.

blog comments powered by Disqus