Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Civics Lessons: Minority


Green Day: Minority

[purchase]

Protest as a civic responsibility? Dissent as a vital underpinning of a vibrant democracy? Supporting the underclass as a matter of course? You better believe it. I may not agree with what you say, but I stand by your right -- and your responsibility -- to say it. Here, Spinner does this one better than I could ever say:

In which rambunctious Billie Joe Armstrong goes explicitly political, pledging eternal allegiance to society's misfits, the downtrodden and the outnumbered. Since this song, the poster band for juvenilia has been active in alternative energy advocacy, Hurricane Katrina relieve and a rock opera about nonconformity.


Most of you know me as a folkblogger, but I can't resist the the almost celtic beat on this perfect punk paean to the underclass from Green Day circa 2000. Once upon a time, I listened to this stuff far more often. Here's a coversong on the same topic from a decade earlier, when Green Day were truly raw.

Green Day: My Generation (orig. The Who)

[purchase]

blog comments powered by Disqus