Saturday, November 22, 2008

Tricky Beats: Shake Your Rump



Beastie Boys - Shake Your Rump [purchase]

I couldn't begin to tell you how many different time signatures are in this song, but I do know this ... it's a trip, it's got a funky beat, and I can bug out to it. The second track on the Beastie Boys' landmark frankenrecording, Paul's Boutique, "Rump" is so sonically dense, there's still a handful of samples hiding in the underbrush, waiting for archaeologists to flush them out. For a great analysis of this song, head over to Ear Fuzz and read, "Anatomy of a Sample Part 2 - Shake Your Rump," a wicked breakdown of this mind-boggling collage. Fans of The Adios Lounge may remember my own "Anatomy of a Classic" featuring Sam Cooke's song, "Bring It On Home To Me." Well, this Ear Fuzz post was my inspiration. Fans of Paul's Boutique also owe it to themselves to check out the Paul's Boutique Samples and References List and their "Shake Your Rump" entry specifically. While I am prone to occasional overstatement, there is no question in my mind that this is one of the best songs on one of the best albums ever made.

As an added bonus, here's the Beasties/Dust Brothers with the demo version of "Rump," entitled "Full Clout." The fidelity isn't spectacular, but given the song's immense historical value, I'm hoping you'll cut me some slack. And in the event I'm still bloggifying next year, I may celebrate the 20th anniversary of Paul's Boutique with some sort of retrospective. Luckily, I have a little time. Until then, let's rock a house party at the drop of a hat.

Beastie Boys - Full Clout [Shake Your Rump demo]

blog comments powered by Disqus