Monday, December 8, 2008

Winter Wonderland: Snow Day



Lisa Loeb: Snow Day

[Purchase]

When I think "snow day", I think of that feeling I got as a child when the weather was bleak outside and I sat on my parents bed watching the school closings across the bottom of the screen waiting to see my school's name and then bouncing with joy when it was canceled. But alas, that is not the feeling that Lisa Loeb is talking about in her song "Snow Day", in fact, it's quite the opposite.

This song is from Lisa's first (and best) album, Tails. It's an album known for its famous single "Stay (I Missed You)" that was featured in the 90's hit movie Reality Bites. This song speaks of the seasonal depression many of us feel. Lisa wrote this song before she made it big, living in the East Village in New York and dealing with the loneliness of the cold and bleak New York winters. The song, though it deals with depression, is also hopeful and imagines there being someone there to rescue us from our winter blahs. Perhaps it is someone to greet us with a steaming cup of cocoa after being out in the cold, or someone there to curl up with and watch a movie when the weather is too awful to go out. The song reminds us that even when we're sad and it looks like everything is stacked against us that things can and will get better.

blog comments powered by Disqus