Thursday, February 12, 2009

1989: Waiting Room



Fugazi: Waiting Room

[Purchase]

As I said in my last post, I was only 10 years old in 1989, so I can't say that I was listening to this song at the time. But luckily enough, it found me years later because an artist I loved covered it and I was smitten and wanted to hear the original. Despite not generally being a fan of most punk music, there was undeniable talent and great rhythm in this song and even though I generally like less aggressive music, I loved this song and could see why someone would want to cover it.

Fugazi was founded in 1987 by Minor Threat frontman Ian MacKaye. The album "13 Songs" which this song was featured on, was a compilation of previous EPs the band had released. I think this song is an interesting addition to the 1989 theme because I hear a transitional sound in it. It is very much a part of the hardcore 80s punk scene, but it also contains hints at the alternative/grunge of the next decade ahead.

And I thought I'd also include the cover version, by Emm Gryner (off of her covers album "Girl Versions"), since it is what brought me back to the original after so much time had passed.

Emm Gryner: Waiting Room

[Purchase]

blog comments powered by Disqus