Friday, February 20, 2009

Trains: The Tracks Edition




Kris Delmhorst: You're No Train

[purchase]

John Gorka: I Don't Feel Like a Train

[purchase] (out of print through his website)

So... all week we've been hearing about things from the point of view of the train... and I thought it time for another side of the story, eh? - perspective is everything. In a train songs mix I made for myself a few years ago, I placed these one after the other, and now I consider them lifelong companion pieces - "baby you’re no train, you’re the track, always running away, always running back"... and "I don't feel like a train anymore, I feel like the track, and if you want to change your luck put a penny on my back"...

I've written about Kris Delmhorst before - from her website:

Kris Delmhorst has built a thriving career and a devoted following from the ground up, and without major label hype. The same independence of spirit that led Delmhorst to spend some early years working on subsistence farms, cooking on a schooner off the coast of Maine, or hitch-hiking the back roads of Ireland with a fiddle on her back, is evident in the arc of her musical evolution: a willingness to work on her own terms and her own time. Along the way she's parlayed a decade of successful cross country and trans-Atlantic touring into one of the most distinct voices in American music.

John Gorka is a folk icon... and I've been lucky enough to see John quite a few times at various festivals and conferences... as well as anticipating his appearance in my concert series in February 2010 (trying to wait patiently!) - from his website:

His albums and his touring (over 150 nights a year at times) brought new accolades for his craft. Rolling Stone called him “the preeminent male singer/songwriter of the new folk movement.” His rich multi-faceted songs full of depth, beauty and emotion gained increasing attention from critics and audiences across the country, as well as in Europe where his tours led him through Italy, Belgium, Scotland, Ireland, Holland, Switzerland and Germany.

blog comments powered by Disqus