Thursday, April 16, 2009

Rediscovered : Tonight I'm Gonna Go Downtown


The Flatlanders : Tonight I'm Gonna Go Downtown

[purchase]

Being French and a fan of country music or country-rock is not an easy thing. The blues, my other passion, is well documented and supported here. My father has a solid collection of jazz and blues records he bought in the '50s and '60s, but he didn't know anything about country music until I bought him a couple of compilations.
In public libraries, not to mention general record stores, there's no way you can find a George Jones, Merle Haggard or John Prine record, and even less cult bands like The Flatlanders. So the Internet was a blessing for me, and helps me catch up.

I first heard about the Flatlanders about one year ago, and More A Legend Than A Band patiently waited on my wish list until I finally heard it for the first time yesterday night and this morning. Well, at least the first two songs. And it was love at first sight (or first listen). "Dallas" and "Go Downtown" are so great I couldn't listen to the others for the moment.

It's funny because I'm preparing a series of posts on River's Invitation about Mexican American border music, and I can really hear a Spanish accent in their brand of country, in the melody, the vocals, the backing instruments and the romantic tone of it all.
How come these guys didn't get enough attention to release a full-length album in 1972 ? Sometimes you just don't meet the right people at the right moment I guess..
So, fellow bloggers, excuse me if this song is already a long-time companion and an obvious pick for some of you, but I guess late is better than never.
Suggestions about their other records (as a group or in solo) are warmly welcome. I heard they released something new recently.

blog comments powered by Disqus