Monday, June 22, 2009

Cry Cry Cry: All My Tears


Julie Miller: All My Tears

[purchase]

It's no secret I'm a coverhound, and this one's been done plenty raw and emotional, both by Steve Earle and Emmylou Harris, not to mention an oddly endearing christian rock take from Jars of Clay. But though most covers take both Julie's original intonation and Buddy Miller's ringing electric atmospheric undercurrent as gospel, I prefer the sparse mountain banjo and breathy vocals of Julie Miller's own solo effort, revisited as an appalachian tune for the 2001 film Songcatcher years after the song first debuted as a countryrock duet with Emmylou on Julie's 1993 album Orphans and Angels.

Emmylou's Wrecking Ball demo recording isn't bad, either. The piano is a nice touch.

Emmylou Harris: All My Tears

[demo unreleased; final version here]

blog comments powered by Disqus