Monday, July 13, 2009

Songs Called Songs: Ohio River Boat Song





























Ohio River Boat Song by the Palace Brothers was the first musical sign of Will Oldham as a musician, and I´ve been an ardent admirer ever since I bought that lofi 7" on the Drag City label back in ´93. So it was quite a treat to hear a much more upbeat version of this delicate lament for love lost a couple of years later, when Oldham decided to re-record it under the Bonnie "Prince" Billy moniker, this time backed by Nashville´s finest session players.

"And her dance is like the gleam of the sunlight on the stream,
and the screeching bluejays seem to form her name when screaming
But my heart is full of woe for last night she made me go,
and the tears begin to flow as I sing the whole day through..."

blog comments powered by Disqus