Monday, January 11, 2010

Four-Legged Friends: My Dog and Me



John Hiatt & The Goners: My Dog and Me

[purchase]

This week’s theme is challenging for me for a couple of reasons. Not long ago, I posted a set of dog songs at my place, and I don’t want to repeat myself. Also, I am a cat person, and dogs are not really my thing. Still, duty calls.

Actually, if I was ever going to change my mind about dogs, this might be the song that would do it. John Hiatt describes a peaceful day with just him and his dog, and it sounds wonderful. I remember when this album came out that some reviewers hated this song. They were looking for a jaundiced view of the world, and clever word play, and Hiatt is often the best place to look for both of these things. But here, he plays it honest and straight, and keeps it simple, and it works. To me, it just shows another side to his talent.

blog comments powered by Disqus