Sunday, August 15, 2010

Fade-Outs/Tobacco: My Last Cigarette

kd lang - drag


kd lang: My Last Cigarette

[purchase]

I thought if I hurried, I could get the lowest hanging fruit of all for this week's theme.

k.d. lang, an artist who's difficult to categorize (country? jazz? pop? yes!), released an album in 1997 called Drag. The album cover makes a playful, unrelated, pun on the title. Notice, also, the lack of an actual cigarette. This collection of cover songs all dance around the theme of smoking, some of which are more obvious than others – for example, Steve Miller's The Joker is included (I'm a joker, I'm a smoker, I'm a midnight toker… ), as is the Albert Hammond, Jr., tune, The Air That I Breathe.

My Last Cigarette (not to be confused with another song she recorded, I'm Down to My Last Cigarette) has the added bonus of a fade-out ending. W00t!

blog comments powered by Disqus